Last Saturday we listened to the Relief Society Conference. We heard President Dieter F. Uchtdorf talk about two activities that sisters in the Church can engage in to help us feel happiness. The first was to create, and his second recommendation was to practice compassion that is part of our nature.He said, "Sisters, trust and rely on the Spirit. As you take the normal opportunities of your daily life and create something of beauty and helpfulness, you improve not only the world around you but also the world within you."
"Let us open our eyes and see the heavy hearts, notice the loneliness and despair; let us feel the silent prayers of others around us, and let us be an instrument in the hands of the Lord to answer those prayers."
On Friday a woman gave me the opportunity to practice compassion. When she came into the temple, we saw that her eyes looked sad and she was very shy. She told us that she hadn't come recently to the temple and didn't know where to go or what to do. Later one of the sisters whispered to me that she had lost her son. She was just standing around, so I asked her how I could help her. She began to cry, and I felt I should put my arms around her and listen to her story as she released her emotions. I felt her pain in stark contrast to the joy that others were feeling as several sisters had come to be sealed to become "forever families."
When she was more calm, a worker volunteered to be by her side until the session started. We encouraged her to pour out her feelings and desires to Heavenly Father here in His house, and ask for strength in her trial. I spoke to her before she left, and she was calm and had a smile. She whispered to me that she knew that God loves her and that she has faith to be strong even in her sorrow.
She could do as Pres. Uchtdorf recommended, "Lift up your chin; walk tall." She knows that God loves her and that we love her.
No comments:
Post a Comment