

When we went shopping Wednesday after our date to the Parque Centenario, Gerhard saw a new fruit and brought a couple home to try. We liked the taste and were intrigued by the inside pulp.
Hey, kids, notice the "pigeon knife" that is being used to cut it.
The answer is the pitihaya or dragon fruit..
I suppose it got its name because the “scale-y and fire-y” skin might remind one of a fire-breathing dragon. http://www.marketmanila.com/archives/pitihaya-dragon-fruit
The fruit has pointed green-tipped scales, much like the leaves of an artichoke. Inside, however, they are a spectacular sight. The translucent pearly-white flesh is dotted with a mass of edible black seeds, which add an appealing crunch, much like that of kiwi fruit. The taste is sweet, with a slightly acidic melon-like flavour. Yellow dragon fruits look more like prickly pears or mini-pineapples, but the taste is the same as the pink variety. Yellow dragon fruit are ripe when golden all over and should yield when gently squeezed. They are best eaten when ripe and cold, with a little lemon to enhance their flavour. When the flesh is scooped out, the shells can be used as serving dishes. Ripened fruits can be refrigerated for up to three days.
http://www.amcostarica.com/092903.htm
Weird looking fruit, but sounds very intriguing.
ReplyDeleteI laughed when I saw all the fruit in the background... you always had lots of fruits and vegies in the house. Yeah, I know- I should be working right now...